Tuesday 26 October 2010

Living in Catalunya

Hola!! My name is Sally and I will be writing the Spain Blog. I live in Catalunya (Catalonia) which is in the north-east of Spain & stretches from the French border to just north of Valencia. It is a region of contrasts, sea, mountains, beautiful and varied countryside, old medieval stone villages & towns and a language of its own, Catalan. Of course you can speak Castillian (Spanish) here but it helps if you try to speak their language as well. Catalan classes are free for newcomers and it is worth the effort as you will find new doors opening to you, even if you only speak a few words.

My town is just 4kms from some of the most beautiful beaches on the Costa Brava, which means "Wild Coast". It is a land of little coves, often hidden from the modern roads, where you take earthy tracks down to the sea. The three nearest beaches to me are Callela, Llafranc and Tamariu, each one with its own identity and ambiance. There is an easy and beautiful coastal walk among pine trees with stunning views which is widely used by locals and visitors alike.

Well, that is where I live. Why did I choose to move here from France where I lived for 12 years? Actually it was almost by accident as my husband was in contact with several people in Valencia & Barcelona universities and we were making regular car journeys from where we lived, about 60 minutes north-west of Toulouse, to both these cities. Eventually we decided that it would be easier if we moved closer to them and so we began discovering the Costa Brava, far enough from the big city, but with good communications in all directions.


I mistakenly imagined that the Catalans in Catalunya would be similar to those in south-west France, and yes - they do speak the same language, but the local and cultural difference become evident once you live here. Over the next months, I hope to tell you about the history & culture of what is now a very modern Catalunya which is in itself part of a very modern post-Franco Spain.

I love living here, even in the Winter when people generally stay indoors after dark but are to be seen on coastal walks or at special events at the weekends. I look out across the town of Palafrugell towards the Pyrennees with their snow-capped peaks changing colour in the evening sky.

I am very lucky to have found this corner of Spain.

I hope I am able to help you see what life in Spain is like and give you some tips if you are thinking of buying here. Please email me any questions to: Spain@OverseasGuidesCompany.com

Sally Veall
http://www.spainbuyingguide.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment